Return
Return to Map
Return to previous page

Bloor Street, looking west to Sherbourne Street, ca. 1908. Courtesy of the City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7244.


Victorian homes, including the William Whitehead House, 76-82 Howard Street, April 8, 1913. Courtesy of the City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 200, Series 372, Item 120


Moving the William Whitehead House, Howard Street, 2016. Image: David Dworkind and Devin Lund.


William Whitehead House, 28 Howard Street, 2021.


  • A Growing Neighbourhood

    Bloor Street

    Development slowed in the St. James Town area due to the Great Depression and World War II. A lack of housing during the war was made worse by the Baby Boom during the 1940s and 1950s. To address housing needs, many of the larger homes in the area were converted into boarding houses. This conversion typically meant that a large home would be cut up into smaller apartments where tenants shared bathrooms and rooms. Rooms could be rented by the week or month, and boarding houses were often a flexible option for those who struggled to afford a typical apartment or did not have a stable income.

    Boarding houses varied widely in upkeep. During the 1950s and 1960s, boarding house tenants complained of lack of heat in the winter and faulty plumbing or wiring. Boarding houses in the St. James Town area were often critiqued for their poor maintenance.


    2 / 4  (use arrows at bottom right to navigate)
  • The William Whitehead House

    76 Howard Street

    The William Whitehead House was built in 1887 at 76 Howard Street, at the intersection of Howard and Rose Streets. The house features bay-and-gable architecture and Queen Anne Revival styling typical of many Toronto residences from the Victorian period. Built as a private family residence, the building was likely adapted for use as a boarding house in the 1960s, similar to many homes in the area.

    Named for its original owner, a commissions’ merchant and manufacturing agent, the William Whitehead House received heritage status in 1974.  The designation came amid rapid changes in St. James Town. The William Whitehead House was one of only a handful of neighbourhood homes to survive demolition during the redevelopment of the area during the 1960s and 1970s.


    3 / 4  (use arrows at bottom right to navigate)
  • The William Whitehead House

    28 Howard Street

    In 2016, following City approval to further develop portions of the north St. James Town neighbourhood, the William Whitehead house was moved several hundred metres west to its current address at 28 Howard Street. The move took place over the course of a single day on November 26, 2016. Following its move, the exterior of the home was restored and sold in 2021 for 2.4 million dollars.


    4 / 4  (use arrows at bottom right to navigate)
Next Slide Previous Slide
Next Slide Previous Slide

Stay informed.

Our What’s On newsletter, issued every month, highlights the latest in heritage news and events.